As therapists we have a lot of valuable expertise to offer people about how to live more relaxed, passionate and happier lives. Often we wait to share this information with people until they’re a client. However, by giving some of this information away for free we can help more people who aren’t in therapy, while also building our practices from the exposure.
It’s a win win for everyone.
There are a number of ways to accomplish this, but perhaps the most powerful is through building an email list of qualified people who will benefit from your expertise in the form of an email newsletter.
Even though many of the people on your list will choose to not seek out therapy services ever, it’s not a problem! You’re helping them anyway by providing them information. And a portion of your list will get to know you, how you can help, and eventually will choose to work with you.
In order to have a base of people to send your newsletter to you must build your list with qualified people. Qualified leads mean these people on your list are actually interested in what you have to say and why you’re saying it.
For instance, if you were selling apples on a street corner, but somebody was looking for a movie to rent they’re not qualified to buy that product in that moment. They don’t need it, they’re not looking for it and probably don’t want it.
It’s the same with your list. You only want to attract people who need support from a therapist, specifically around your specialties and what you’ll be writing about. This way you don’t just have a list that has no interest. It’s about quality first and quantity second.
So, now I want to tell you about how you can get 500 qualified leads on your list:
- You must have a solid opt-in offer on your website: Ever see those opt-in offers on the sidebar of a website that says, “sign up here for you free guide on how to…” I know they are pretty annoying over all. But they are still plastered on the internet because they are very effective at reaching an intended audience. If you create a beautiful classy opt in for your website, with a very specific guide or free short ebook that you’re giving away based on your specialty, you can typically convert anywhere from ten to twenty percent of your active website visitors onto your list. And that’s huge!
- Want your opt in to have an even bigger impact? Have a different giveaway on each specialty page. For instance, if you specialize in anxiety and have a specialty page for it have your opt in on that page match it. This will maximize the amount of people who opt in on your website.
- Blog regularly. So, if you’re going down this road it goes without saying that you must blog regularly. Blogging is what’s going in your email newsletter, but it’s also what is going to attract new subscribers. Post your blogs on your Facebook feed, Facebook business page, Linkedin publishing, google + page, twitter links, and any groups or forums that are relevant online.
- Guest Blogging: If you can guest blog on large online sources such as Psychology Today, Huffington Post, etc. you can reach hundreds of thousands of people overnight. You can literally drives thousand of people to your website and have hundreds of new subscribers from one blog post. But remember relevancy matters! So only guest blog in places that count.
- Boosts your post on Facebook. If you want to build your list and willing to pay a little money in order to do so consider boosting posts on Facebook. You can easily drive a large amount of traffic to your website by boosting posts. If you’re going to use this method make sure you create relevant leads by keeping the ads local and also including interest categories in the ads that are based on your services.
- Host an online webinar: This one takes a little more tech knowledge but it’s pretty simple these days. Host a live webinar on something you’re passionate about. Advertise it in your normal social media channels, as well as any local contacts you have. In order for people to join the webinar they give you their email address to be placed on your list. You can easily drive a couple hundred people into your list this way and then you get to keep giving them valuable content with your newsletter.
- Create a podcast: This one takes a little more work, maintenance and active recruiting of followers. But if you like to speak, teach and you have something you want to say this is a great way to build a following and increase your list size.
If you follow these steps you can easily have 500 qualified subscribers to your list in less than a few months. And if you’re like me, I find so much joy in putting information out there that benefits other people.
Latest posts by Keith Kurlander (see all)
- Therapists Sell More Than a Used Car Salesperson - October 5, 2017
- What’s the Difference Between a Guru and a Therapist? - September 21, 2017
- 7 Attributes of a Mindful Marketer and Why It’s Essential In Private Practice - June 14, 2017
- Why Therapists Lose Thousands Every Year on Prospective Clients - May 24, 2017